Translate

Wednesday, November 28, 2012


BFL PROFILE: ADAM HADDRICK
Photographer, Adam Haddrick shares his passion and creativity and tells us what its like shooting some of the most talented people.

BFL: How did you get into photography?

Adam: After completing secondary school I auditioned for university drama schools having spent much of my teen years studying to be an actor. I was accepted into the Deakin University drama program which was a 4 year Bachelor of Education which meant I could teach drama at secondary school level. I wanted to take an offer from another performance arts course that was 3 years but my parents convinced me it might be good to have a degree in something other than acting to fall back on. It wasn’t until I started the course that I realised that I could take on another subject in conjunction with drama. I had studied photography in year 12 and thought it went hand in hand with drama as both are about personal expression and the way you perceive the world around you.

BFL: What most inspires you?

Adam: Inspiration- both creative and personal – can come from the most unlikely of sources or when you are not seeking it. I’m writing this having just listened to a woman being interviewed on radio who - despite being blind and deaf - managed to sit for her AMEB 8th grade music exams. This is a high level of exam and it just astonishes me that someone can do that having those hurdles to overcome. When asked how she even managed to sit for this, she answered; ‘through sheer hard work and 4 hours of practice daily for years until she was told she was ready’. She didn’t do it for financial gain or to ‘big note’ herself to others but to prove to herself that her disabilities would not stop her from achieving something that kept her alive creatively and bought her so much joy. So, I guess I’m inspired by those who despite adversity, whether that be in the form of restricted freedoms, lack of opportunity or by numerous other circumstances are able through determination and passion to achieve ways of carving out success and finding an audience - whether it be for 1 or 1 million people.

BFL: What was one of your favourite jobs you have done for a client? Why?

Adam: Their used to be a magazine in Australia called FHM. While it’s content was sometimes questionable, one thing it was great for, was giving photographers loose briefs to create whatever portrait in whatever style they thought would force people to read the accompanying interview. I had to shoot Tom Carrol who was a World champion surfer. From the germ of the idea in placing him in a turbulent carwash and having him surf an old panel van, to the execution of the final portrait – it was just one of those jobs that the client loved and so I loved shooting. It helps when what you envisage and what you end up with are in tune. More often than not, for hundreds of reasons, something is always compromised. Tom happened to be a great subject who loved the idea and we hit it off straight away and had a good laugh. I think this is captured in the end result. It is probably one of only a couple of portraits I’ve done that I’m 100% happy with. I’ve always been my harshest critic in that I’ve looked at an image on completion and said, ‘if only I had of………

BFL: What’s most important in shooting a job?

Adam: I specialize in people, so creating the right environment for people to relax and feel comfortable and give you a bit of who they are is the most important thing. I’m surprised by the amount of people who walk in and say, ‘I hate having my photo taken’, although they may have done it 100 times before and be used to being in the glare of the spotlight. For most it is a drag and comparable only with going to the dentist. I love it when they leave and say, ‘that was painless, or ‘that ended up being fun’. I really try hard to break down barriers quickly by not taking myself seriously and having a laugh. We’re not saving lives here, so why not try and have some fun. By being energetic and positive about what you’re trying to achieve, it’s amazing how people respond in return.  Having the dog with me on most shoots also helps also as it takes peoples minds off being photographed and gets them talking on a personal level.

BFL: When did you first start taking photos?

Adam: I first started taking photos in my final year of secondary school, I was 17 and I was always interested in people. Most of my shots from those school assignments were portraits of workers and even back then I can see a slight bend towards the theatrical and my sense of humour. I was never really interested in someone just standing there staring at me. My first paid photography jobs came as soon as I started studying photography at university. I photographed actor’s headshots, and it was a good way to learn the craft of lighting and dealing with people, especially actors who can be a bit precious! I was looking at some of my first headshots the other day and feel guilty people were paying me for them. More to do with my darkroom technique than my photographic skill, but I do remember hating standing in a darkroom for hours agitating trays with the smell of chemicals.

BFL: Describe your style of photography?

Adam: That’s a hard one because if you look at my web site you will see many different ways of shooting with different lighting techniques. Sometimes I shoot slow and deliberate and other times I move around like a lunatic doing an exercise work out. I try and keep it fresh by evolving or trying new things specific to the job.  Ideally if I were to pinpoint something that defined my style it would be to find something to make the image a little different from what the client is expecting. Take the image of Shaun Micallef for example, the client wanted a straight portrait but on the way to the shoot I was watching a guy at the lights try and do up his tie and I just came up with the idea of doing something with a tie. I put pressed metal inside of it and bang, that was the idea, but it made the shot. I guess this goes back to when I started and always enjoyed the theatrical or performance element. Sadly less of this conceptual stuff is used these days in Australia. There seems to be a certain blandness and pedestrian way of taking images.


BFL: Some of the people you have worked with?

Adam: When I finished studying I was lucky enough to work in London for some big celebrity photographers as an assistant. Through this work I managed to meet an amazing variety of people including politicians such as Prime Minister Tony Blair, to members of the Royal Family like Prince Charles, from models including Kate Moss to actors such as Cameron Diaz.
Since setting up the studio in Melbourne I have worked with Daniel Craig, Russel Crowe, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Rihanna, Kevin Rudd, Dame Edna and at one stage or another numerous faces who have popped up on Australian TV in the last decade.

BFL: One of the things you most enjoy in life would be?

Adam: I really enjoy travel and trying to explore things I’m not familiar with. I love meeting new people so I’ve been doing a personal project around the world for the last 3 years and it’s something that I get much enjoyment from. Those that travel a lot will know that travel can be frustrating at times but the satisfaction I get from hearing strangers stories always makes it worth it. When I travel I enjoy looking, listening, watching all forms of creative expression.

BFL: Who would you love to shoot in the future?

Adam: I would love to shoot Cate Blanchett. Not only do I think she is incredibly talented but also has a look and class to her that makes her so appealing.


Shaun Micallef

Tom Carrol