Translate

Sunday, September 9, 2012

BFL PROFILE: PJ LANE

We chat with actor PJ Lane, who stars in Underbelly Badness and is also the son of showbiz legend, Don Lane.


BFL: How did you get into acting?
PJ: I've been acting since I was very young. I suppose I've always been into the performing arts because it's a family business. But acting specifically... I think when I was about 12 I was awarded a performing arts scholarship to Scots and really started to enjoy acting.

BFL: What is one of the best things about your job?
PJ: Satisfying the alter ego. We always imagine being a cop, a murderer, a vampire, or a soldier, but acting gives you the chance to live out that fantasy. I guess there's a little bit of crazy in all of us, I'm just glad the crazy comes out on screen. Could be worse places to let the crazy come out

Hugh Jackman
BFL: Who inspires you?
PJ: Hugh Jackman, not just because he's a great performer, but he seems to always make the right moves. I guess he inspired me to explore the benefits of meditation (which he practices). He seems to be incredibly grounded for someone with his accolades, that's an incredible quality that I would like to always have.

BFL: One of your favourite actors would be?
PJ: Guy Pearce is actually my favorite actor. I tell that to everyone and they seem surprised, then they think about it and usually agree that he's pretty good. In terms of admiring actors who put a lot into their craft... I like Ralph Fiennes, Christian Bale (the way he morphs his body), and from the old-school I like Laurence Olivier (not many people are fans but he would really leap into a character and ride it the whole way).

BFL: What is your weekly workout?
PJ: At the moment it's pretty full on! Right now I'm lifting 5 days a week and cross training for 3. Hopefully this crazy regime doesn't last much longer, but I guess I'm enjoying going to the gym nearly every day. The diet is grueling though, that's the part I hate. Plain tasting food, and plenty of it!

BFL: Two fashion items you are wearing?
PJ: Oh jeez... I don't think you want to know. Every stylist I meet always wants to try something new with me. For about 3 days straight last week I wore a 'Choose Life' t-shirt and some outgrown parachute pants that I've had since I was 8. I'm starting the 'look like a dork' trend. I don't think it's catching on.

BFL: Where did your love of acting begin?
PJ: I was in year 6 and I saw the school production of Guys and Dolls. It was a school production but it was awesome. I remember wanting to be in something like that one day.

BFL: The best advice you ever got?
PJ: Nothing ever ends up the way it starts out, so you take it and you go with it as best you can.
Coogee Beach, Sydney

BFL: Two of your favourite places to go in Sydney & in LA?
PJ: Well LA always reminds me of my holidays when I was a kid. So I make a point of it to go to Disneyland or Universal every time I'm there. Favorite place in Sydney... I grew up in Coogee so I'll have to say I'm the most comfortable when I'm there.

See Underbelly Interview on Channel Nine: